Friday, February 20, 2015

Week 6 Differentiating Tools for Givercraft

Differentiating Tools for Givercraft 

I have built a house where the memories have been placed. They are in a secret location. It will be interesting to see if this house stays built. I might need to rebuild it using the "safe" building blocks. 




Here is the chest. At first I built it into the ground and then realized I couldn't build blocks on top of the chest. So, I had to build around the chest. The world kept changing when I was in there. So I put torches up to stay light while I worked. 


I have started to add memories to the chest. As you can see, this takes a long time and I have only been able to make a few. I'm still not sure if I'm making only one set of books or multiple copies of each memory. This is a differentiation tool, so I don't think I need to make a bunch like last time. I'm not even sure if this tool/idea will be used. It might, there's no expectation or requirement outlined for how the students are to pick and build their memories. It will be interesting to see how this idea pans out. Last time the team made all of the books and then placed them all over the different zones. I'm interested to see what memories the students come up with and how many students ask for support with this scenario.

To create a zone for the memories, I had to make sure the students were not able to see the zone. This is in teacher mode. I created a new zone, for teachers to find. It's called Memories Released. This name might need to be changed if students find the chest. We will have to see. Also, I created this zone ahead of time. Teachers are required to make their own zone and world for their students. I didn't want to delete one of the teachers zones or place the memories in a zone where teachers had a difficult time finding it. You can't see it due to the gray box, but behind the box is the teleport cube. Teachers will click on the memories released zone, be placed by the teleport block and face the house. They will have to walk to the back to find the door and open it. Then they will walk in to find the chest. We will have to make sure teachers know now to create their zone in the "memories released area" or near by it. That would be an easy way for students to find the memories. If students found the memories, it wouldn't be a horrible thing.... they are the receiver of memory and came across many memories! I'm looking forward to seeing how the students build this time around.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you showed us what you have done in screen shots. I always get worried when we place items in one location. Kids, as well as adults, may accidentally break the chest. Then all the books are just swimming on the ground. To have multiple chests for kids to locate in order to get to the memories might be more helpful. Then if a child decides not to put the book back or accidentally breaks the chest it is okay, there are other chests out there. I think you have a great idea and it will be great for when kids need that help in remembering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole, Megan, and I are creating a collection of Minecraft resources that teachers can use if they need additional help. This will include links short articles and videos. Our plan was to have this in a location accessible only to teachers. To make this more convenient to teachers, we can place it near your "Memories Released" teleport location. We were trying to figure out where to put it. It sounds like you created the perfect place! :)

    ReplyDelete