Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Week 9

Essential question: What practical structures could we use to implement PBL in our classrooms?


         As I read through the reading this week and did my own research, I thought of the project based learning unit I plan on creating. I want to create a program that will help my students with reading comprehension. It’s difficult content to actually teach to a student. I think through a project based learning unit, it will be more efficient. The first item I wanted to find was a tool to use in my classroom. I have actually already started to use this online tool, to see if my students would be able to use this on their own, in small groups and give me the opportunity to observe student learning or work with students individually. With project based learning, the “teacher monitors and guides students’ progress by overseeing the management of small student groups, keeping students focused on important content, and providing ongoing formative feedback” (Ertmer and Simons). I think this is the most important part to PBL. Ongoing assessments are very important. Teachers need to know if their students are understanding the content, before moving on to the next part of the project. In Project Based Learning the teacher’s role is to “guide and advise, rather than to direct and manage, student work”( Solomon).
         With my unit, students will have different leveled of books to read with their group. Students will read their books and then take a quick assessment (questions) on the text they read. The online tool we will use, will give them quick feedback on their understanding. Students will record their score and allow them to “observe their ongoing progress” (Ertmer and Simons). Students will also be able to apply their “new knowledge to the problem and reflect on what they learned and the effectiveness of the strategies employed” (Hmelo-Silver). I will observe their fluency and scores on a daily basis and work with students individually. I will also have a certain group of students who work with me each day of the week. I will assess their understanding of a higher level text by asking them essential questions of the book we are reading together.
         My goal is to make sure the project runs smooth and students stay engaged. Students “particularly can become disoriented or frustrated if they do not receive the support or guidance needed to be successful” (Ertmer and Simons). I think one challenge I will have is making sure students understand the process and being able to complete the online tool on their own. The other part is working together in a group. While students “typically enjoy group work,
group time is not always used productively, and teachers need to enlist strategies to ensure that relevant content is being addressed” (Ertmer and Simons). It depends on the students, but if I see that the small reading groups are not working correctly, then I will be flexible and change the groups or make it into a whole group discussion. I think being flexible throughout this process is important to having a successful Project Based Learning experience for your students.
            This week I watched a video on Edutopia, it explained the five important parts to having a successful PBL. After watching this video I was able to think of how I was going to set up my classroom and what on going assessments and activities I would have with my students. The five important parts to PBL from Edutopia is;
1. Real - World Connection
2. Core to Learning
3. Structured Collaboration
4. Student Driven
5. Multifaceted Assessment

         It’s also important when thinking of designing a PBL unit for your students to think of these parts too “begin with the end in mind and plan for the end result. Craft the driving question; select and refine a central question. Plan the assessment and define outcomes and assessment criteria. Map the project and decide how to structure the project and manage the process: Find tools and strategies for successful projects” Coffey).  The video from Edutopia showed students taking assessments, teachers observing their work and also having the students give their own assessment on their project. One classroom showed students putting colored stickers underneath the part they felt they did the best. With my unit, I will use an exit ticket to assess how the students thought they did and how well they worked with their group. I think having the teacher assessment is one, but also having the time for the students to reflect on their own learning is a key part into having a successful unit.

Resources

Ertmer, P. A., & Simons, K. D. (2006). Jumping the PBL implementation hurdle: Supporting the efforts of K–12 teachers. Interdisciplinary Journal of Problem-based Learning1(1), 5. Retrieved from: http://docs.lib.purdue.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1005&context=ijpbl&seiredir=1&referer=https%3A%2F%2Fscholar.google.com%2Fscholar%3Fstart%3D10%26q%3Dimplementing%2BPBL%26hl%3Den%26as_sdt%3D0%2C2#search=%22implementing%20PBL%22 on March 10, 2015.

Hmelo-Silver, Cindy E. “Problem-based learning: What and how do students learn?.”Educational psychology review 16.3 (2004): 235-266. Retrieved from: http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=13682403&site=ehost-live on March 10, 2015

Solomon, G. (2003). Project-based learning: A primer. TECHNOLOGY AND LEARNING-DAYTON-23(6), 20-20. Retrieved from: http://pennstate.swsd.wikispaces.net/file/view/pbl-primer-www_techlearning_com.pdf on March 10, 2015.

Coffey, H. (2008, November 12). Project-based learning. Retrieved March 10, 2015, from http://www.learnnc.org/lp/pages/4753

Edutopia. (2014, June 26). Five Keys to Rigorous Project-Based Learning. Retrieved March 10, 2015, from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnzCGNnU_WM&t=290




7 comments:

  1. What is the name of the online program? It sounds very interesting. I like the idea of instant feedback. As a primary teacher I understand the struggles with trying to get students to find the importance of comprehension. PBL is great for this be students are in charge of their learning and naturally find the importance of comprehension during their researching. Nothing motivates my students to read for comprehension more than a good PBL. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's called Accelerated Reader by Renaissance Learning. It has improved my students comprehension skills tremendous amounts.

      Delete
  2. I would also like the name of the online program. I think you have good ways of having students assess themselves. I think having students reflect is sometimes the most difficult part of a project. Also, after they reflect, getting them to apply the reflection to future sections of a project can also be difficult for younger students. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's called Accelerated Reader by Renaissance Learning. It's an amazing tool to use for comprehension. I have seen a lot of improvement with my students. The parents really like it too.

      Delete
  3. A few of the articles and resources I encountered this week focused on reflection as being absolutely critical for a successful PBL experience. When I was teaching jh/hs ELA, students told me over and over again that one of the most meaningful things they had to do was reflect on their own work -- usually on a 5x8 ruled sticky note and then attached to their writing (this was pre-paperless classrooms! ;o). The mere act of having to read through their own ideas with a critical eye as to what was best, what needed more work, and which single line or idea stood out as being their best thinking in a particular assignment REALLY made students think...and it felt like such a simple add-on to the assignment to me! I often enjoyed reading their reflections more than the assignments themselves, because they were so honest and sincere in the way they thought about their writing. So, I think it will be super important for you to build intentional time in for student reflection...and to prep students for this part of the PBL work by modeling how to reflect, what kind of reflection they will be doing, etc. What fun you have to look forward to as students reflect on themselves as developing readers. Awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few of the articles and resources I encountered this week focused on reflection as being absolutely critical for a successful PBL experience. When I was teaching jh/hs ELA, students told me over and over again that one of the most meaningful things they had to do was reflect on their own work -- usually on a 5x8 ruled sticky note and then attached to their writing (this was pre-paperless classrooms! ;o). The mere act of having to read through their own ideas with a critical eye as to what was best, what needed more work, and which single line or idea stood out as being their best thinking in a particular assignment REALLY made students think...and it felt like such a simple add-on to the assignment to me! I often enjoyed reading their reflections more than the assignments themselves, because they were so honest and sincere in the way they thought about their writing. So, I think it will be super important for you to build intentional time in for student reflection...and to prep students for this part of the PBL work by modeling how to reflect, what kind of reflection they will be doing, etc. What fun you have to look forward to as students reflect on themselves as developing readers. Awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, PBL needs to be ongoing. You need to be constantly monitoring and checking in with students or you will lose a couple and they will be lost before you ever get them where you want them to go. My son is using AR and it seems to be helping him as well. That constant movement or adjustment is essential for differentiation in learning for our students.

    ReplyDelete